all poets welcome!

HOW TO BECOME A CONTRIBUTOR:

Just send an email with "join san juan poets" in the subject line to terriclark@centurylink.net

We will reply with an invitation to join the blog!





Monday, April 21, 2008

Cupping Water

here again is lonely sunset

and that familiar emptiness growing

even as the light itself diminishes.

like touching hands through a screen door

reluctant departure

yawning gap

between desire and

"the way things are"


how I feel each time you slip

from the passenger seat

into the cool arms of night.

cold metal and glass suddenly

a wall between me and you,

and your brisk steps away from me -

the last look over your shoulder

before you disappear behind the corner.


some kind of ship that sinks nightly

drowning the tiny clutching hands

of my attachments,

spilling their contents into the sea

of darkening night.

longing and desire set adrift -

flotsam in the currents of passing time


another day has slipped like water

through my fingers

and I have nothing to show

for the air and water and

sunlight consumed.

nothing but these aging hairs

upon my head imperceptibly

marking time

and this calendar inside

I cannot read.


what will I do with the sunlight

if given again tomorrow?


when will I be infinitely aware

that every moment, each exhaled breath,

is sunset?

and every next moment,

each new rising of my chest,

an un-promised sunrise?


when will I unflinchingly see

that time passes at the speed of light.

and yet, any moment cupped

like precious water in my hands,

holds infinitely still?


TC – March 30, 2008



2 comments:

antoniozart said...

ms clark~ i love what you are doing on this site!
and this is ~ of course~ one of my favorite poems...
cupping... i am cupping the night tonight...
liquid moon and milky cloud will quicken the mix...
~adm

Amy Harold said...

Terry, Oh when, oh WHEN will I stop loving the way this poem says it, with attachments spilling, adrift, flotsam in currents.........

WHY!!!? Why do I keep doing that? At least it's a relief to know that you can contain that feeling with words. You have described it so beautifully that I ache even though the sun has just come up. I just HATE it when certain people leave!!!