all poets welcome!

HOW TO BECOME A CONTRIBUTOR:

Just send an email with "join san juan poets" in the subject line to terriclark@centurylink.net

We will reply with an invitation to join the blog!





Wednesday, November 12, 2008

insomnia

the voice in the down spout at three am old familiar you speaking imperceptible secrets all the mumbles in the world's rubble crying in hysterical whispers buried beneath an inch of water i understand only a few moments in a life that dreams it is passing itself without touching but is audible behind the beating drums my hair and my hands betrayed you my bad breath my thoughts running riot in the rain my skin flakes off my scalp holding a splitting headache together foot in a vice a shoe in a soul none of it laying lazily on a tounge used over the hour paged and alarmed rehearsed by now all at once always it is all of sudden and it speaks in a downpour and drizzles through the gray sun there is talk of a gun a son of a son once more once it is begun the pile at the footprint the stint of rash regaling before the night quits and the whistles scream i cannot sleep i cannot dream

2 comments:

tara said...

wonderful imagery..all of it here.(as usual you have one line or phrase that wakes me from the intoxicating lull you induce, which line or words I wish weren't there; but it is your work after all ...here it was "bad breath").
Otherwise, I enjoy your work immensely.
Thanks you for sharing your talent.
Tara

antoniozart said...

thank you tara~ actually, i dropped the "bad" ~ in the final re~write... i like to publish work in all forms... not just "finished" edits... it is the anarchist in me....
i wrote bad breath because it had more impact on a sensual level...
and because i work with elderly people whose body odor etc is really intense and at times overwhelmingly repugnant... decrepitude... encountering it always reminds me why buddha said:
old age sickness and death... are the causes of suffering...